Member Type: Individual Profile
Profile Views: 209 views
Contacts: 0 friends
Location (City, State)
Global region are you based in? For example Eastern Europe, Asia
Africa, Middle East
Do you work for a
Service Provider/Operator, Telecom Industry Vendor
What is your current job title?
Technical Director, Director of Operations
Which of the following areas are you most interested in?
Middle East & African Market
Do you belong to, or participate in any of the following
TM Forum, GSMA, ITU, TIA, ATIS, ECTA, InfoComm, IEC
What would you like to get out of Telcoprofessionals.com?
Professional Environment, Ability to connect with like minded professionals , Expand network for next job
Professional Background/Education eg. BSS/OSS
Versatile Solution Driven Telecommunications Professional with over thirty years of international experience, with an in-depth understanding of Network Operations and Management including NOC front and back office, Network Roll-Out and Commissioning, Managed Services / Vendor Management, Development Methods and Procedures and the management of associated infrastructure and security. Strong technical knowledge and hands-on experience of a wide range of fixed and wireless technologies with additional expertise in civil works relating to Smart City, Mobile, Landline, ISP, SubSea, RF, Satcom, Fibre, MSC facilities, Governmental and Oil & Gas Projects. Further experience of leading and motivating large multi-disciplined teams from different cultures and consistently performing effectively in challenging working conditions.
Previous experience 1
March 2012 – February 2013
Project Manager (Smart City - Mega Project)
Orange Business Services (France Telecom) - King Abdullah Financial District - Information Technology Communications Complex, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
• Took responsibility for the ICT platform design approval process and implementation of various systems into the KAFD / ITCC complex currently under construction including NOC / Emergency Services Centre.
• Liased with Saudi Telecom in various activities including approval of high and low level designs of TETRA, GSM, Landline, Fibre, OSP, WiMax, FTTx passive and active components as well as all in-building systems including building controls for commercial, residential and hotel systems.
• Managed the telecom facilities (including the Data Centre) construction efforts of the four construction companies (Al-Seif, Saudi Bin Laden, Saudi Oger and ZFP) to ensure proper Saudi Telecom construction standards were being fully utilized.
Previous experience 2
April 2010 – March 2012
Group CTO and Head of Programme Management
U-Tell - Telcom Somalia - GSM, ISP, Fixed Network - Hargesia, Somaliland
• Established the Programme Management and Engineering Office for the National Operator - Telcom Somalia.
• Implemented the regional Engineering and Operations group to become self-sufficient.
• Implemented the National NOC covering the entire Horn of Africa operations including M&P’s, KPI’s, etc.
• Implemented a complete end-to-end network overhaul of deteriorated network facilities including copper facilities.
• Organized an effective field workforce and was able to mobilize the entire region for less than $900K USD.
• Consulted to the new SubSea cable venture “SOMCABLE”.
Previous experience 3
October 2009 – March 2010
Interim Zain NOC - Ops Manager - MS Transition Team
Ericsson Managed Services - DWDM – SDH - 3G-UMTS – Lagos, Nigeria
• Managed the day-to-day operations of the Zain network transition to Ericsson Managed Services.
• Led a multi-disciplined team of over 150 local engineers and field personnel.
• Developed a partnership with Nokia Siemens Networks for all fibre maintenance and fault repair.
• Implemented Ericsson Methods and Procedures within the NOC and field maintenance staff.
• Produced Performance and Network Incident reports for dissemination to Zain CxOs.
• Compiled KPIs and Network Performance statistics for weekly reports.
• Developed mentoring and knowledge workshops for local staff.
• Engaged on a regular basis with Zain CxOs regarding network quality issues.
SELECTED CAREER ACHIEVEMENTS
• Assumed responsibility for the deteriorating operations at Telecom Somalia. Re-motivated local staff through the provision of training and improved pay and benefits. Undertook the network swap and re-build, often in remote and dangerous areas of the country and restored the network to full operational status within six months.
• Assigned to a project which had fallen behind schedule. Confirmed the project status, Liased with the client to rebuild trust and put in place a remedial action plan. Within 3 months the client recognized the significant progress made and resumed contractual payments. Subsequently all phases of the project were completed.
• Offered the short term position of Interim NOC Manager for a distressed managed services project with Ericsson in Nigeria. Reviewed all aspects of the project and worked closely with the client to rebuild trust and bring the managed services efforts back in line with the strict Service Level Agreement and ensured that all Key Performance Indicators were fully met.
• Took on a challenging role with Kellogg Brown & Root in Iraq under combat conditions managing the restoration of communications for the pipeline and control facilities of the Northern Oil Company in Kirkuk and the Southern Oil Company in Basra. Responsibilities included coordination with multinational military forces and reporting regularly to Senior Members of the Coalition Provincial Authority, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Senior Military and State Department officials.
Specialties / Skills
KEY SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Senior Telecommunications Engineer. Shirtsleeve technical experience and proven ability to design and implement Core Networks, Network Management Systems and Network Operations Centres. Fully conversant with the latest commercial, military and governmental comms platforms and technologies.
Customer Relationship Management. Identifying and implementing professional solutions that address the operational and business needs of the client and fully supporting employer in achieving all contractual goals. Effectively liaises and communicates at Senior Military (Flag Officer Grade) and Senior Government (Ambassadorial and Ministerial levels) as well as civilian CxO level.
Project/Programme Management. Significant experience of managing the full life-cycle of projects and programmes and the appropriate methodologies and their application within the telecoms environment. Solid practitioner of MSTOP, ITIL & eTOM and development of the associated SLAs, WLAs and KPIs within Managed Services agreements. Training and Development. Experience of mentoring team members and facilitating the training and development needs of staff to ensure that projects are not only delivered but are also sustainable in the long term. Emphasis on Knowledge Transfer by working closely with junior colleagues to develop proper management skills and best practices.
Budget Management. Solid commercial experience of managing all aspects of budgetary planning with P&L responsibility and experience of cost reduction, cost benefit, ROI and substantial CAPEX / OPEX responsibility. International Experience. Substantial experience of working with multi-national and multi-cultural teams in very challenging (and sometimes dangerous) working conditions in remote areas.