March 10, 2010 4:25 PM GMT
Why automate business process?
· Increase consistency
· Increase predictability
· Increase throughput
· Reduce costs
· Reduce (human) error
· Increase customer satisfaction
What do you need to know to introduce automation?
· Which user groups carry out which functions
· What are the process hand off points
· What repetitive tasks are there in the process
· What is the lifecycle of the data in the processes
· What takes a long time for a human but is rule based and hence quick for a computer
How should you implement automation?
· Focus on the 80/20 not the exceptions to the rule
· Componentise the process and abstract it into re-usable pieces
· Deviation from the standard flows costs time, money and customer satisfaction
Have a read of Con Agnews blogs on automating processes (part 1
and part 2
Lessons learned anyone?